Coffee intensifies the flavor of chocolate.
Makes 24 brownies. Recipe is by Cynthia Nobles.
1¼ cups cocoa powder, divided
2 tbls. instant coffee granules
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tbl. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. almond extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Oil a 13 x 9-inch baking pan and coat with ¼ cup cocoa powder. In a small bowl, mix coffee granules with 1 tablespoon hot water and stir until completely dissolved. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat. Pour into a large bowl. Add sugar and prepared coffee concentrate. Cool 5 minutes.
3. Stir in remaining 1 cup cocoa, salt, baking powder, baking soda.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, stirring well after each addition. Add vanilla, almond extract, and flour and beat well until combined. Stir in semi-sweet chocolate chips.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread top evenly. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out dry. Cool completely before cutting.